Thursday, October 11, 2007

"Papa Bob"- by Jack Moffatt

My Papa Bob is my dad’s father. He died this year from cancer at the age of 82. I am thankful that he knew Jesus though because he is in heaven right now. I’m pretty sure he’s “avoiding blondes” because right before he passed my Grandma Shirley, who was his wife and has dark hair, told him to wait for her in heaven and to “stay away from the blondes”. My mom and dad told me my Papa Bob was always joking around. My mom said he had a joke for every day of the year.
My Papa was an engineer and served in World War II. I would like to know more about what he did and what it was like in the war, but he didn’t like to talk about it. Probably because it made him sad. Grandma gave me his pocket knife and compass and they are really important to me. I wish I could remember more about him, but my mom says I’ll get to hang out with him in heaven. I bet he’s making a lot of friends and I miss him a lot.

1 comments:

mtngrl said...

Hey Jack - I loved your essay on Papa Bob. I miss him too. You know, I think one of the reasons why he didn't talk about the war was that he didn't spend a lot of time looking back. He lived in the present and not in the past. One of the many things that I love about him. And while I'm sure part of him misses us too, I think he's probably really enjoying his new adventure and sharing his jokes with other lucky souls now! We miss you lots,
Love, Aunt Jeanne